Ok, so it has been since April that the Blogspot website has been blocked within China. There appear to be other ways to access it though :).
The end of May Rebecca and I took a day off of work and flew with the kids to Beijing for a long weekend - The Dragon Boat festival holiday. We had great weather up there with the exception of the first day which was our day on the Great Wall. There was light rain, but virtually no crowds so the rain was bearable. We saw all of the typical sights in Beijing and will post photos or links to them soon. Both of the kids continue to attract a rediculous amount of attention when we are traveling together or just walking together downtown. It reminds me of the papparizzi at times.
The kids finished the school year about 2 weeks ago. They both did fantastic considering the circumstances. We were concerned with school placement especially Kayla, because the school operates on a British School system which would not typically allow her to be in Year 3 (2nd grade equivalent) even though she was 2nd grade in Michigan. It was tough on her for the first month. The school system here was about 1/2 year ahead of Michigan plus the new language. By the end of the year, she caught up to the class in Chinese Proficiency and will advance to the next class this fall.
For me work at PATAC (Pan Asia Technical Automotive Center) in Shanghai has been demanding and extremely challenging for me. My first semester in college shortly before I dropped German 101 was the only experience that has come remotely close. Unfortunately, this time, a foreign language is required. Anyway, between the new names, faces, organization, etc. I have easily consummed one years worth of information in the first 5 months. I told Rebecca that I literally cannot remember the first 3 months of being here and only now am I beginning to recognize the neighbors.
In other news, two weeks ago I severely sprained my ankle running down our outdoor steps (not advisable). No broken bones, but my foot and ankle are only now returning to normal size and colors. Then to top it off, I all of a sudden woke up with about a 30% loss of hearing in my right ear. It's all good now, but I was honestly about one broken chopstick away from limping my sorry hard of hearing self to the airport so I could board the next plane for home. The good news is that it's too far to walk to the airport and since I still cannot communicate with the taxis drivers, we're all still here.
No comments:
Post a Comment