Saturday, November 19, 2011

Cruising In China


















2 1/2 years ago when we started our China experience, I would not have predicted that we would venture out into traffic, but here we are on my CJ750 Sidecar.  The bike is a restored 1957 Chang Jiang 750cc 24hp bike (very nearly identical copy of the 1930's vintage BMW R71).  Riding around on this bike has been an absolute blast.  Not only is it entertaining to ride, it also catches the attention of nearly every Chinese and Foreigner we pass on it.  So many thumbs up I cannot count.

My friend Tim Peat and I decided that we would both go and get sidecars this summer.  The process started with him and I test driving the bikes at the sidecar shop.  I was the first to test ride, and I pre-warned Tim that the last time I rode a bike was a mini 50 when I was 12 yrs. old.  At the time, the only thing that prevented me from driving into the lake was the campsite grill that I rammed shortly before I jumped off and ran away.  This ride would be my second attempt and directly into Shanghai city traffic.  Tim bravely hopped into the sidecar and off we went.  As we returned from the successful ride, I commented to the mechanic that I was surprised how the bike was able to lean so effortlessly into the corners.  After hearing this, the mechanic ran into the garage and quickly installed the securing nuts for the sidecar.  Turns out the sidecar was not attached completely and we were probably lucky that Tim didn't peel off for his first solo sidecar run.  But, he didn't and with our first successful ride completed, we ordered the bikes.

Next step was to obtain a motorcycle license.  After getting a medical check, taking a written test, and passing two separate on road driving tests with a police officer I was all set.  The entire process took about 2 months and required about 7 seperate trips across town.  Here are a few of my favorite test questions:

5.7.2.2 When the driver senses he will inevitably be thrown out of the vehicle, he should violently straighten both his legs to increase the force of being thrown out and jump out of the vehicle. Answer: Right

5.9.2.3 When a vehicle falls into water, the driver should in no way panic. In particular, those who cannot swim should first manage to escape through the windows. As long as they reach the water surface, they will have more chances to survive.  Answer: Right

5.6.2.2 When a head-on collision is unavoidable, the driver should free the steering wheel, raise the legs and lie sideward on the right seat at the moment of the head-on collision. This can ensure his body is not stuck by the steering wheel.  Answer: Right

Some of the questions were obviously nonsense, but I made it through anyway.  Since I got the bike this summer, I have put on about 500km so far and always look forward to nice days when we can explore Shanghai from a new an unique perspective.

For those who travel to Shanghai and are interested in a sidecar tour let me know and I can hook you up with a ride on my bike or you may also ride as part of organized tours of Shanghai by sidecar.

1 comment:

  1. That sounds fun and all...can I get back to you on the ride part.

    ReplyDelete